Ghais Abdel Malik
Mouneer Hanna Anis
2000 to date
Area Bishop, Horn of Africa
In 1920, the Diocese of Egypt and the Sudan was created with Bishop Llewelyn Gwynne as its Bishop. He was mainly responsible for the building of All Saints’ Cathedral on the banks of the Nile. Bishop Gwynne ordained the first four Egyptian pastors of the Church, including Girgis Bishai, and Adeeb Shammas. The Cathedral on the Nile became an important centre for many of the British forces during the second world war, attracted by the inspiring sermons of Bishop Gwynne who retired in 1946.
The diocese of Egypt separated from Sudan and Bishop Gwynne was succeeded in Egypt by Bishop Geoffrey Allen (1947-52), then Bishop Francis Johnston (1952-58) who was followed by Bishop Kenneth Cragg (1970-74). Other leaders included Archdeacons Adeeb Shammas and Ishaq Musaad, and the latter was appointed Bishop in 1974.
The Cathedral had to make way for a new bridge over the Nile in 1978. A new design by Dr Awad Kamil Fahmi in the form of a lotus flower was built in Zamalek, adjacent to the Marriott Hotel. Bishop Ghais Abdel Malik, formerly pastor in Old Cairo was appointed Bishop in 1983 and he was succeeded by Bishop Dr Mouneer Anis in 2000.